After graduating law school in Boston and interning for Circuit Judge Bruce M. Selya of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Paul moved to San Francisco and practiced at well-regarded law firms. His practice areas included real property, business, and personal injury matters. Prior to starting his firm in 2015, he worked as a principal at a real estate firm and as in-house counsel at a startup. Now running his own firm, he concentrates on real estate matters and provides general counsel services to commercial real estate brokers and startups.
Paul has successfully represented real estate clients in court actions, jury and bench trials, and arbitration hearings. From 2012 to 2015, he represented clients in four trials, including:
- Defending a real estate broker against a condo buyer’s non-disclosure claims in a jury trial where the court granted the broker’s motion for nonsuit after the buyer closed its case in chief.
- Proving homebuyers’ negligent misrepresentation claim against sellers in residential sale.
- Defending sellers against most of buyers’ construction defect claims in a multi-unit sale.
- Proving HOA members’ entitlement to relief under CC&Rs in a two-unit condo dispute.
Paul also develops practical and creative strategies to settle cases. For example, he represented real estate clients to reach the following settlements:
- Close to seven-figure settlement reached prior to starting depositions for buyer clients alleging construction defects against builder and failure to disclose claims against sellers through mediation efforts by marshaling evidence and sharing expert witness’ investigation and analysis.
- Reaching settlements for seller clients in pre-litigation mediations through informal, cooperative information exchanges with buyers’ counsel and by critically analyzing the settlement value of cases and persuasively presenting analysis and evidence at mediation.
- Real estate broker client dismissed from case after showing strength of client’s case by examining adverse witness and presenting client witness at depositions.
Doctor of Jurisprudence (Cum Laude)| Boston University School of Law, 1996
First-year Student – (ranked first in class) | New England School of Law, 1993-1994
Bachelor of Science – Marketing & Management | Northeastern University, 1989
- State Bars of California and Massachusetts
- Federal District Courts in California and Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Associations & Community Involvement
- California Association of REALTORS® Legal Affairs Forum, 2015 to present
- San Francisco Bar Association, Real Estate Panel, 2014 to present
- Italian American Bar Association of Northern California, 2011 to present
- Legal Services for Children, Pro Bono Panel, 2003 to 2010
- Child’s Advocacy Award, Legal Services for Children, 2010
- South End Rowing Club, 2009 to present
- Listen to Paul’s interview on KQED’s My Spot: Braving the Icy Waters of San Francisco Bay by Greta Mart.
Photo Greta Mart/KQED.
Writing & Teaching Engagements
- Instructor, Legal Research and Writing, San Francisco State University, 2018
- Publication – Defending Buyer Nondisclosure and Misrepresentation Claims in Real Property Transactions, California Real Property Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2016
- Guest Lecturer – Introduction to Real Estate, Menlo College, October 2016
Training Presentations for real estate brokers and agents:
- Defending and Avoiding Buyer Nondisclosure and Misrepresentation Claims in Real Estate Transactions at Intero Real Estate Services, a Berkshire Hathaway Affiliate, in October 2016
- Real Property Sales: Probate, Conservatorships & Trusts at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Realty in November 2015