After graduating law school in Boston and interning for U.S. Circuit Judge Bruce M. Selya, Paul moved to San Francisco and practiced at well-regarded law firms. His practice areas included real estate, litigation, and transaction services. Prior to starting his firm in 2015, he worked as a principal at a real estate firm in San Francisco. Now running his own firm, he continues to concentrates on solving problems arising from real estate ownership, and on advising and representing business owners and professionals for real estate matters.
Paul has successfully represented real estate clients in court actions, jury and bench trials, and arbitration hearings. From 2012 to 2015, he represented clients in four trials, including:
- Defending a real estate broker against a condo buyer’s non-disclosure claims in a jury trial where the court granted broker’s motion for nonsuit after the buyer closed its case in chief.
- Proving homebuyers’ negligent misrepresentation claim against sellers in residential sale.
- Defending sellers against most of buyers’ construction defect claims in a multi-unit sale.
- Proving HOA members’ entitlement to relief under CC&Rs in a two-unit condo dispute.
Paul also develops practical and creative strategies to settle cases. For example, he represented real estate clients to reach the following settlements:
- Close to seven-figure settlement reached prior to starting depositions for buyer clients alleging construction defects against builder and failure to disclose claims against sellers through mediation efforts and sharing expert witness’s investigation and analysis.
- Reaching settlements for seller clients in pre-litigation mediations through informal, cooperative information exchanges with buyers’ counsel and by critically analyzing the settlement value of cases and persuasively presenting analysis and evidence at mediation.
- Real estate broker client dismissed from case after showing strength of client’s case by examining adverse party witness and presenting client witness at depositions.
Doctor of Jurisprudence (Cum Laude)| Boston University School of Law, 1996
First-year Student – (ranked first in class) | New England School of Law, 1993-1994
Bachelor of Science – Marketing & Management | Northeastern University, 1989
- State Bars of California and Massachusetts
- Federal District Courts in California and Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Associations & Community Involvement
- California Association of REALTORS® Legal Affairs Forum, 2015 to present
- San Francisco Bar Association, Real Estate Panel, 2014 to present
- Italian American Bar Association of Northern California, 2011 to present
- Legal Services for Children, Pro Bono Panel, 2003 to 2010
- Child’s Advocacy Award, Legal Services for Children, 2010
- South End Rowing Club, 2008 to present
- Listen to Paul’s interview on KQED’s My Spot: Braving the Icy Waters of San Francisco Bay by Greta Mart.
Photo Greta Mart/KQED.
Teaching, Writing, Speaking & Training Engagements
Instructor, San Francisco State University, 2018 to present
- Legal Research & Writing, Spring 2018
- Pleadings & Motions, Summer 2018 & 2019
- Real Estate Practice, Fall 2018
- Legal Ethics & Communication Skills, Spring 2019
- Defending Buyer Nondisclosure and Misrepresentation Claims in Real Property Transactions, California Real Property Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2016
- The U.S. Legal System, The Center for Global Engagement at SFSU (presented to a group of Judges from China), February 2019
- Real Estate Law, San Francisco Legal Professionals Association, February 2019
- Ethics in Everyday Practice, San Francisco Paralegal Association, October 2018
- Defending and Avoiding Buyer Nondisclosure and Misrepresentation Claims in Real Estate Transactions, at Intero Real Estate Services, A Berkshire Hathaway Affiliate, October 2016
- Real Property Sales: Probate, Conservatorships & Trusts at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Realty, November 2015